Monday, 3 September 2012

Craft Island Design Team

Hi, I'm Debbie and I have been lucky enough to have been chosen by Jacqui from Craft Island to join her Design Team.

First of let me start by telling you a little about myself. I have been married to my husband for 32 years, we have three wonderful sons, two beautiful daughters-in-law and three gorgeous grandsons - Finley (4), Rory (2) and Leighton (8 months). I work part time for my husband in our family run business. I also qualified as an Interior designer back in 2000, which has helped me with my now highly addictive passion - paper crafting.

I started this hobby making cards, mainly for friends and family but after watching YT I discovered the art of scrapbooking and mini albums - I was completely hooked. I have done a few scrapbooking layouts but my real passion is for mini albums.
I can't begin to tell you how many of these I have made - dozens probably. Some of the minis I have made (well the good ones anyway) have gone to my family but the majority I have kept as I can't seem to part with them.

I have decide to use one of my favourite minis for my 1st blog post and that is my "Our Great Adventure" mini album using the Zoology Collection by Bo Bunny.



adding beads and fibres to the spine softens the look

showing the chain closure and charm
I used black Bazzill card stock for the pages and then covered them with the Zoology papers by Bo Bunny. 
adding lots of extra pockets means more places for tags.......

and photos

this page has the added benefit of a pull out booklet for even more photos
By adding further card stock in the form of added pockets and flaps this allows for more photos to be added.
this page has a landscape waterfall for photos


this page hold a secret place for tags and a belly band 
I made pull-out booklets, hand made envelopes using the papers and added "belly bands" to store extra tags and photo matts.
a hand made envelope with magnetic closure that opens up to revel........

more photo matts


By splitting the large main page pockets into two using an eyelet allowed me to be able to put in two tags instead of one large one. These tags could be used for photos or journaling. I also added lots of lovely fibres to the tags to make it easier to pull them out, and it looks pretty too.
lift up the flap and..........
......more places

this one shows a different type of belly band
held closed by a magnet
I made most of the tags from Kraft card to compliment the binding strips.










Once I had made all the pages I then had to decide on how I was going to bind it and with what. Having already added strips of Kraft card to one side of the pages for the binding I then punched four holes using my Crop-O-Dile so that I could join the pages together. I then treaded some twine through the holes adding beads between the pages as dividers. This gave me the space I would need to add my photos.














I used lots of cut out elements from the paper collection to add onto the pages as embellishments so that I could add more tags and photo matts. I made most of the photo matt using Bazzill card stock in a variety of colours that complimented the paper collection.
this pocket holds a surprise......

..........another pull out book

one of my favourite pages

created by

The next major issue was the cover. Normally I would have the idea for the cover already decided but this one was more challenging. The main cover was made from chip board with a corrugated cardboard  spine. I covered the front and back of the cover with the zoology papers and then used some of the chip board embellishments from the collection to add to the front. The leaves were cut out using my die cutting machine and given a little bit of sparkle using some Stickles. I then added a few beads and fibres   
to soften the overall look and hey presto a completed mini.

I am really thrilled to have been chosen to join Jacqui and the rest of the Design Team and only hope that my work is enjoyed by all. Thanks, until next time, Hugs Dxx

You can see a full tutorial of how I made this mini album on my YT channel.

No comments: